Friday, November 23, 2012

Gobble, Gobble... It's Turkey Trot Time



So it's been a whole four days since I ran a marathon. That's totally enough time to recuperate and run another race... right? Well, even if not, its become my new Turkey Day tradition to get my run on before I stuff my face. Hence, my running of the Thanksgiving Day 4-Miler in Portland, ME with my family. 


While I wanted to better my hour long "run" time for last year, mostly I was just happy to be moving in a general upright position, given that my knees were still killing me and I'm sure driving six hours to get to Maine didn't really help matters at all. I did beat my time from last year by a few minutes, but before I even got to run, I got to cheer on my six year old, who was doing her first 1K.

Isabel ran around the loop in six minutes and took off with such determination, I couldn't help but scream like a loon. She proudly told everyone at Thanksgiving dinner that she "dragged" Grampy through the race. She's nothing if not confident, and I'm just glad that she's happy to be out running and sharing my newfound interest in the sport. I only wish I'd been more into running as a young person, it would have been a lot easier to start running as an adult. I don't want to force her to run if she decides she doesn't like it, but right now, you hand the kid a shiny little medal and she's good to go. She wore it most of the day and happily showed it to every family member who walked in the door.  

And she wore her turkey headband, so she could blend with the rest of us wearing weird Thanksgiving hats. Last year, my dad and I were among the very few people wearing hats for the race. This year, there were a ton of wacky turkey hats (in all its various states of being cooked) as well as some people in full pilgrim costumes... and one guy in a gigantic moose outfit that stuck out about three feet behind him. To admit that the moose passed me going up a hill like I was standing still, is a little bit depressing. Much like the guy in the marathon who juggled while running and still crossed the finish line well before me. Oh well. 
So this year my dad decided to stay with Isabel and my brother and I decided to run. And I even talked him into wearing a stupid hat as well. And before we raced I met up with my new friend Matt, who I met while waiting for the Philadelphia marathon to start. He was from the DC area and had family up in Maine he was visiting as well. Such a small world! 

Anyway, the actual run was mostly enjoyable. I didn't actually move all that quickly, but I enjoyed the actual distance. Only 4 miles! What a delight. And I ran the whole time, though I couldn't really keep up with my brother with all the crowds and whatnot. I still didn't appreciate the silly cobblestone streets that got in the way of my running. I mean, honestly, who mapped this out and thought it was a good idea to go up streets that were entirely made out of uneven bricks? While running? Really, its just ridiculous if you think about it. Someone told me it was quaint. 
But on the plus side, I survived both loops without twisting my ankle, so that's a bonus. And other than the wonkiness, its a nice little run up and down some hills, and unlikely last year I ran the entire time. So glad to be done with the whole run/walk thing. I mean, I credit that for getting me to where I am, but I just feel so much more awesome when I power up a hill while people around me are walking and huffing and puffing. I'm not competitive, but things like that make me appreciate how far I've come, instead of focusing on how slow I am and how far I have to go. And the downhills make me wish I could find a race that is entirely a slow and steady downhill. I actually get a nice stride on and smile. I'd PR in no time.

Around mile 3, I was greeted by a couple who saw my Philly marathon shirt and told me they had the same one. I asked if they had run on Sunday too, and they said they had... and that's why they were standing on a street corner cheering other runners on instead of running themselves. That made me feel a little bit better... and confirmed my thoughts that this was probably a crazy idea. As I was enjoying the last quarter mile downhill to the finish line, I was greeted by my daughter and brother who had come to run me in to the end. That brought a total smile to my face. So much for knee pain when you've got a smiling little face cheering you on. She's definitely what I'm most thankful for this holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment