Thursday, March 1, 2012

Today's Exercise: Back to Business

After my vacation, I finally got back to the gym tonight. It's not like I was a slug on vacation or anything, probably the opposite, in fact. On Wednesday I did a few mile run before I caught a flight, on Thursday I got up early and ran 3 miles to adjust to the warm Florida climate, on Friday I did laps in the Fantasia pool at our hotel. Later in the day Friday I went Scuba diving for 45 minutes (good calorie burn!) and Sunday ran my half marathon and Monday did some more laps in the pool. And we walked miles and miles around the Disney parks (we really took advantage of the park hopper). The problem has been that Tuesday and Wednesday since I've returned, I've been wiped out and trying to readjust. Tonight was just what I needed.

I did a 30 minute training session with my bubbly trainer Kristin (who loves Mickey Mouse almost as much as a certain five-year-old I know). She had me doing a series of weightlifting exercises (dead lifts, shoulder presses, reverse arm curls, rows, weighted squats etc...) doing ten of each. Then when I finished I got to do the whole sequence again nine times. Then eight and so forth until I was begging for mercy at 1. She said some people only get down to five, so I feel pretty proud of myself. Perhaps because she was goofily dancing to "Groove Is in the Heart" and I was laughing through the pain.

Then I did my power yoga class, and she was all about the planks (high, side) and it was killer. She sat on me to help me get a real good hip stretch at one point, pushed me into a deep child's pose and spotted me while I did a headstand. And generally pushed my achy body to its limits. I feel fabulous! Though I loved vacation, and all my activities there... I'm glad I got back in my routine. Signing up for training sessions has really kept me motivated/obligated to go, even when I just want to curl up on the couch.

1 comment:

  1. You go! Glad you had a great vacation!!! You're looking GREAT!

    ReplyDelete