Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Today's Exercise: Never Ask For Specific Exercises...

I've been busting my butt this past week, just too exhausted to write about it. I worked out with a different trainer last Wednesday, he was fine, but didn't exactly push my limits. Then Thursday I was back to Kristin, who had me doing weighted lunges all over the darned place and really pushed me like crazy for a half hour. Then did yoga, with my favorite instructor Adrienne who was really big on the flow and left me barely breathing. On Sunday I went back for yoga, and Adrienne was all about side planks, I'm still not entirely sure how we kept ending up in that position. But I finally have a halfway decent looking chaturanga. Not perfect, but getting there. Afterwards I had a training session with Randi, who also was in a lunge happy mood, and threw in some abs for good measure. Monday night it was gorgeous here in New Jersey, so my daughter and I went to the park for a walk-run. She's six, so there was a lot of whining and some goofing around on the monkey bars, but we still made it about a mile and a half.

Tonight was yet another weight training session, with Kristin. While she was happily explaining the Draw Something app/game to me, she had me do six (yes, six!) sets of her little routine she made up. These squats that went straight up into a shoulder press, hunched over rows with a three second hold (don't you just love my technical jargon?), regular shoulder presses and then push-ups. Ten of each. Six times. No breaks. She's nuts, but I did it with the 30 lb. bar and it really wasn't even that bad.

My big mistake was telling her that I wanted to try the leg lift thing again, and suggested maybe in my upcoming Thursday session. Oh no, she wanted to do it tonight. So instead of the two sets of leg lifts that she had me do last time (you balance on your forearms and hold these bars while you lift your legs up), she had me do four sets of ten. Why do I do these things to myself? And because I did everything so fast (usually I take more breaks to breathe), there was time for walkouts. Where you bend over, walk your arms out (while your legs are straight), when you get to a push up position, you go down on your forearms, like a plank, then push yourself back up, and walk back to standing.

Lessons learned? Go slow and never tell a trainer you actually like a particular exercise. It's not going to end well.

No comments:

Post a Comment