Thursday, March 14, 2013

March Madness - Day 13: Walk the Walk


The continued challenges of my "March Madness" quest to exercise every single day in the month.

So first, the exercise and then the true confession.

Yesterday I was out of my normal Wednesday night routine, which typically involves me working later to do catch up, and then a workout of some sort.  I went to a book signing/reading because my friend Kim had friends who had written the book Sexy Feminism.  I knew that I wouldn't get home until late, since the reading was downtown in New York and the buses are few and far between after 10 o'clock at night.

The reading was at 7, and according to Google Maps (what did I do without them?) it was about a three mile walk. So I left my office at 6, figuring that a 20 minute per mile pace would allow me to comfortably walk in my boots with a slight heel and not be disgustingly sweaty when I got there. And it was fine. I got there are few minutes early, even with having to stop occasionally for traffic lights. And since it was fairly nice weather (in the 40's), I wasn't freezing the whole time. It was less stressful than taking a cab or worrying about missing a subway stop because I was really into a podcast or something. I mean, I did get really into a totally relatable episode of "You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes", where he was talking to Matt Mira about relationships, but that's besides the point.

The actual point is that I got a walk in. Even on a day when I didn't really have "time" to "workout", I managed to walk more than a lot of people do. And it was enjoyable.

So now its time for the true confession part of this blog post. I've been on a crazy eating binge lately. It's been bad. Really bad. And not just for a meal. More like on and off for two weeks. That's not to say that I've been just stuffing my face with bags of chips, but there have been birthdays and a lot of dinners out and lunches out… and just generally a lot more sugar and sodium and red meat than I'm used to eating.

To be honest, while some of the foods were delicious (I had pastrami from Katz's deli last night, for example), the side effects haven't really been worth it. My stomach is revolting, I'm getting headaches constantly and I just feel more lethargic than normal.

All this food is not going to help me get in Tough Mudder shape, or even half-marathon running shape, so I've got to get back to focusing on eating a largely healthy diet, and cooking for myself again.

My scale has been broken, so I honestly don't even have any idea what kind of damage I've done in that sense (though hopefully all the exercise will at least have helped keep it to a minimum). I'm sort of dreading seeing my Weight Loss Miracle Worker Danae on Sunday, because she's got that pesky scale for me to look at. We shall see how it goes, but I've got a feeling I've got some work to do. But the first order of business isn't losing any added pounds, but instead it is getting rid of this stupid sugar induced headache.


No comments:

Post a Comment