Thursday, March 7, 2013

Trial and Error: The Bar Method


A Real Life Thank You Card
In an effort to find my next exercise addiction, I'm trying out a bunch of different kinds of group classes. A couple weeks ago on a Sunday, I decided to try a Bar Method class. I'd been hearing about all these classes that involved ballet barres and how intense they were, so I finally decided to give it a shot. I found a place about 30 minutes from me. There is another location in Montclair which is closer to my home, but that entire town is vaguely intimidating and there class was full at that time, so I opted to make the trek a little further north in New Jersey.

The space was wonderful. So bright and calm. The staff was incredibly friendly and welcoming and while I was nervous about what was in store for me, and if I'd be able to hang, I was excited to try the class.

And while I was sitting in the sunny room with lots of mirrors and a soft off-cream carpet feeling out of place, two very fit, but very pregnant woman walked in to take the class. I figured if it was safe for pregnant women, how bad could it be.

And it wasn't that bad. The teacher was nice and offered suggestions to everyone in class. I needed a bunch of reminders to point my toes as yoga has sort of beaten that habit out of me. We did a lot of push ups and that sort of thing. The key though was that this was for toning so all of the arm lifts and leg lifts we did weren't hard, but involved many more reps than you'd normally have to do. Just lots of little pulsing movements.

It wasn't the impossible feat that I'd been lead to believe, and after I got over the hurdle of getting my leg up on the barre (I was concerned I wouldn't be able to), the rest of the class was fine. I did feel worked out, but not disgustingly sweaty like I do after bootcamp. My biggest complaint was that my socks were too slippery for the carpet. I needed those little kid socks with the grippy footpads on them.

As I'd told the woman at the desk I was testing things out, neither she or the teacher gave me the hard sell, but instead told me that I'd be welcome back for individual classes as my schedule permitted, and they gave me their information. And then a few days later I got a thank you card from them. A THANK YOU card. In the actual mail. It was very sweet. It made me wish that I had loved the class so much that I'd want to go back all the time. But unfortunately I just really can't afford to do a class regularly (it was 25 bucks a class) unless it is my total obsession. I appreciate all of the toning and see how it could help with sculpting (and I may try the dusty Pilates DVD that's been sitting in my closet for years) but I think I'm still seeking out something either a little more high-impact or high-energy.








No comments:

Post a Comment