Wednesday, March 20, 2013

March Madness - Day 18, 19 & 20: ... Yoga

So my quest to exercise every day this month didn't really account for the crazy pounding headache that I had that just wouldn't go away for two days. I have no problem working out when I have a cold or cramps or general malaise. In fact, working out usually makes me feel better, but there was nothing I could do with the migraine that didn't make it worse. Jumping, jogging, sit-ups, they all either made me dizzy, increased the pounding feeling or made me want to vomit. Shoveling the few inches of snow around my car on Tuesday morning was torture. So I opted to take off until anything other than walking didn't make me feel like crying.

I realie that this terrible headache was likely attributed to my drastic change in diet (I ate everything bad for two weeks and the immediately went down to nothing), but still, even though it was my own fault, I am mad that I couldn't quite achieve my goal. Instead I did my juice cleanse from my Weight Loss Miracle Worker Danae, and ate nothing but green veggies and some lean proteins along with her vitamin-filled juice. It sounds terrible, but it really isn't as bad as it sounds, and it definitely detoxed my body from all the sugar and salt I'd been eating.

So since the headache had largely subsided, I decided to join my friend Kathy for her private class at her house again (she's really just so generous letting me come). Her husband, who is new to yoga, joined us and The Amazing Adrienne ran us through our paces, as usual. It was a great class, especially since I finally landed a pose I've been working on. I have zero idea what it is called, and I'm terrible at describing things, but here's my lame attempt. You start in one legged down dog then bring your left leg in, while putting your arms in a chaturanga pose, then put your bent left knee on your left leg and your other arm goes into your hip. I've gotten to this point quite a few times, but the trick is that you have to tip yourself forward so that your back leg goes up in the air and you are balancing on your arms. It looks impossible when Adrienne does it and her feet gracefully fly up in the air, but while my foot only made it a few inches up, it was still up in the air. I definitely appreciated Kathy's nice squishy floor though when I crash landed a few seconds later. Something I'll keep practicing, and then I'll get Isabel to take a picture of me doing it.

Adrienne also showed us the start of kurmasana, a pose I'd seen on tumblr and was fascinated by. While I've got a ways to go to get my arms completely tucked behind me and my legs straight ahead, at least I can see how to get there... sorta. Even if I never quite make it, its an amazing stretch even in the beginner stage.

And now I feel like I'm back on track. A nice workout. Another scheduled for the morning and a body that is free from sugar and most processed foods. And while I didn't meet my March Madness goal, I'm still determined to squeeze as many days of good fitness in this month as possible. There's still 11 more days and I'm going to make the most of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment