Sunday, March 24, 2013

March Madness -- Days 23 & 24: It Only Hurts for a Minute (or 10)


Saturday - March 23 
After my three days of hard workouts, I woke up Saturday morning barely able to move. The thing was that I'd already signed up and paid for a hot yoga bootcamp with the Amazing Adrienne, so I had no choice but to go. I spent most of my drive there trying to figure out how I would be able able to remotely do a push up or anything when I couldn't even lift my arms over my head. 

I had told my dad Friday night that I couldn't feel my arms, and he said, "If you couldn't feel them you wouldn't be complaining, I'm guessing you feel them and they hurt." Accurate. Then Saturday the World's Cutest Personal Trainer wanted to know why I was groaning even taking the trash out, and I said that my arms hurt a lot. Her response: "At least you have arms, you should be grateful you have them." Aw, sweet and surprisingly profound from my 7-year-old. Well, until she added: "And its a good thing, because if you didn't, you wouldn't be able to get me my fruit snacks or drive me places." Less sweet, but I get her point.

So I headed into Hot Yoga Bootcamp (a deadly combo of bootcamp exercises, power yoga and 90+ degree heat), with a bit of gratitude for my life... and a strong wish that I'd thought to take a healthy dose of Advil before going to class. So I went through the yoga poses at the beginning of class totally sore and stiff, but a funny thing happened, about 10 minutes in, right about the time we had to start doing insane balances on a bosu ball (seriously, those things weren't meant to be upside down!) and happy feet (which are totally misleadingly named) and Navy Seal push ups (I can't even)... I started to feel better. The heat from working out had loosened up my stiff, achy muscles enough and made it so I could survive this very demanding workout. Driving home from class in the cold when my muscles stopped working... well, that's another story. It is a very good thing that all I had to do the rest of the day was shop with my friend.

Sunday -- March 24 
Waking up on Sunday morning at 6 AM... also didn't feel so great. But I knew I had to get some running in. I have a new pair of cute Asics (that I'm pretty sure you can see from outer space since they are so obnoxiously bright) that I needed to break in for my half-marathon training. Since this was my first run with my new kicks, I didn't set a major goal, but had about an hour set aside to run. I run about 12/13 minutes a mile when I'm not killing myself, and just decided that with the new sneakers, I was going to see how it went. I ran about a mile on the track, and my arches weren't at all happy and my mile time was well over 13. So I headed off on the paved trail around the park, hoping that even if I wasn't going to get much done with speed, at least I could get some hill training in. So up one hill and down the other side and still kind of felt like my feet were lead. I even had to walk a few paces to shake my legs out a bit, which is something that I haven't had to do in a while. So I turned to go back up the hill and was mentally trying to figure out the shortest route back to the track where my car was parked, even though I'd only gone about two miles. 

Then that strange thing happened, my muscles were tight and my feet were adapting to the new shoes, but halfway up the hill a fun song came on my iPod, I leaned a little into the hill and I just felt suddenly good. I ran up the rest of the hill down the other side, and breezed around some more of the trails, and arrived back at my car 55 minutes after I'd left having clocked just over four and a half miles. Not too shabby for me! Especially considering that the first two miles were extra slow. Obviously, I'm loving my new supersonic neon shoes. My only complaint was that I stupidly forgot to put on my running playlist and just had my ipod on shuffle, so it went from Ratt to One Direction to Arcade Fire. But that's an easier fix than trying to find new running shoes.

I probably should have called the day a success, but I wanted to squeeze in a yoga class (not of the bootcamp variety) to work out some of my sore muscles. So I went to the gym for the Amazing Adrienne's Sunday morning class. It was packed, but Adrienne always gives a great class, and makes me feel special, and a bunch of my pals were there. My ability to hold a chaturanga was low and we must have done about 30 of them, but I survived the rest of the class and got the good stretch I needed. 

Best of all, when I went to see my Weight Loss Miracle Worker, I'd lost the weight I put on during my crazy binge eating phase. So physically it turned out to be an awesome weekend. Now if I could just find someone to do my laundry for me... because carrying those baskets and loading the washing machine might actually be what breaks me.

No comments:

Post a Comment