Sunday, January 15, 2012

The High Price of Privacy

I recently watched a TV show about Million Dollar Rooms, and one of the spaces featured was a gym at Mark Wahlberg's house... that probably has about every weight machine you can imagine, free weights and a full scale boxing ring.... in addition to a full size basketball course with a giants Celtics logo in the middle. But as his housekeeper-type person noted, it was an investment so that he didn't have to go to the gym with real people. And I bet it doesn't have pesky hours to deal with.

And today I read this article in The Hollywood Reporter about super exclusive boutique gyms that are mostly visited by celebrities... as they are the only ones who could possibly afford them. Part of me was jealous that they probably actually have equipment that is cleaned on a fairly regular basis and that they don't have to work out with their trainer in a space that is barely wide enough to swing their arms in, but then I realized that they miss out on some spectacular people-watching. That's half of the highlight of going to the gym for me, since I'm in Jersey and you could safely say that a lot of these men see Ronnie from Jersey Shore as their idol. And I don't have to spend 25,000 a month for the privilege of getting fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment