Friday, January 27, 2012

Today's Exercise: The Trifecta of Pain

Technically this was yesterday's exercise at this point, but since my forearms and wrists hurt so much last night... typing was a task far beyond my capability.

I got up yesterday morning before the crack of dawn and went out for a run. There was a light dusting of snow on the ground, but it was so great to be back outside running since I'm the worst treadmill runner on the planet (though my trainer Basil would say it is him). While my GPS was a little haywire and kept saying I was running at a ridiculous pace (I blame the cloud cover and the rain), it still felt like a really good and strong three mile run.

But then last night, I did my new Thursday routine. I almost had the night off thanks to an invite to go out from a friend, but I ended having to skip the outing for personal reasons too numerous to explain in a short blog post (my arms still hurt, people). Anyway, since i was home, figured I'd go get my gym on. Went to Basil at 8:30 and he beat me up. Apparently, he thought I got an easy workout from the cute blonde girl the other day and decided to train me hard as some sort of disturbing lesson. He loaded me up with heavier weights than I'm used to and had me do dead lifts with a little curl up, that just destroyed my forearms and wrists. Then he decided it was fun to have me stand on one leg and do every variation of a one-arm exercise that he could think of, with more reps than I'm used to. He seemed awfully pleased with himself, as I stumbled off to yoga.

At yoga, she again showed no mercy. When I was in full wheel and couldn't hold it, she came right over and told me "we don't go backwards in this class". I explained my wrists hurt from the trainer and she essentially told me to suck it up in a nice way. I'm not the super whiny type, but man, I understand why some people are.

On the plus side, I almost (ALMOST!) made it into a headstand. I've been working on it, and it involves a lot of core strength (which I am severely lacking). I got onto my head and raised my feet up slightly more than an inch off the ground. Headstands don't just let you kick up into them like a handstand (which I can also only sort of do), and just require you to pull your legs up really, really slowly. I didn't quite make it last night, but I can see the light. Now if I could just move my arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment