Saturday, January 7, 2012

Today's Exercise: The 12 Mile Run


According to the half-marathon training that I'm doing (see more on that here), today's run was scheduled to be 12 miles (my longest yet). Does the program from runDisney not care that it falls on the day of my daughter's birthday party? Guess not.

So my brother (who is down here visiting) and I got up extra early and went for a very long run. Nearly 3 hours (I'm slow, remember?), and while there was a lot of walking (since I am still easing back in from my knee injury on Christmas Eve), we totally finished without really pushing it too much. And according to the kind voice on my Nike + app, I clocked my best 10K time (now granted i've only run that far about 5 times... but still! It's something). I was most happy about the fact that I managed to take 10 minutes off my 10 mile time (from Christmas Eve), without even really stretching it. Thinking that the 2:45 far off goal that I have for my 1/2 marathon might not be as out of reach as it seemed a few months ago.

The other great thing about the long run (aside from watching my brother run ahead and do chin ups on any surface and do his little speed drills), was that I didn't really think about the stress of the party. Normally when i'm having people over, I'm panicked about everything being spotless or having everything just perfect. Today I just ran. And if not every detail is perfect, no big deal. There will be Bears built and cupcakes eaten and pizza devoured... everything else is just a bonus and by focusing on my running (and myself) for a few hours, I definitely feel the least stressed I ever have when faced with the prospect of multiple screaming children. Actually, now that i think about it, many small children is WAY more intimidating than running 12 miles.

1 comment:

  1. and to think....everything went off great at the party. It was wonderful and it even more impressive since you ran that morning.

    ReplyDelete