Saturday, January 14, 2012

Today's Exercise: Run/Walk/Strength Train

I woke up this morning thinking that I might got for a swim today. But that didn't happen. Perhaps if my gym was open 24 hours, it might have worked out, but by the time I mustered enough energy after my morning workout, it was about 20 minutes before the gym was going to close.

What I did do was my "long" run for my half-marathon training. After last week's doozy of a 12-mile-run, four miles seemed like nothing... at least until I got out there for running. The first mile was what the Disney coaching calls a Magic Mile. You just try and do your best mile time, without killing yourself and still breathing. I did OK, and shaved a few seconds off the last one I did, which is always the goal. But man, it was mighty windy out today. That cutting wind whipping across the open field where I was doing my track running was cold. I actually willingly went on the uphill loop because it was sheltered by a lot of trees.

But by the last mile, my legs were not quite working the way I wanted, and I ended up walking a lot more than I usually do. Still, I got from point A to point B, which my dad always tell me is the whole point.

Then after that I headed to the gym for my training session with Randi. My inner thighs were still sore from my squat heavy workout with Basil on Thursday night, so I actually laughed out loud when the first thing Randi instructed me to do was jump squats onto a step platform that was about eight inches off the ground. Three sets of 20. And then she had some other step related thing that involved hopping and toe touching, I was just glad I didn't fall on my ass. I think she realized my legs were dead, so she moved on to some nice bi & tricep workout before ending with some arm work.

It was all I could do to lift my laundry into the machine when I got home. How do those Jersey Shore kids handle the gym, tan, laundry routine?

No comments:

Post a Comment