Saturday, January 28, 2012

Today's Exercise: Guess That's Why They Call It a Training Run

So I did another 12 mile run this morning (my second so far) and while I finished in about the same amount of time as the last one.... I learned a lot of valuable lessons. I suppose that if doing a half marathon was just as easy as adding a few miles every week, I could have done it a long time ago (well, I might have crawled through it, but still). So here's what I learned today:

1. It's more fun running with company
The last couple of times I did long runs, my brother came with me and since he's a lot faster than I am, it pushed me to do my physical best to keep up with him. Plus, while fellow runner and walkers were nice and waving or nodding hello, it wasn't the same as having someone to talk to through the huffing and puffing.

2. Location makes a difference
Today I did a run on a beautifully kept multi-use path in Bergen County. It was exactly six miles, so it made a perfect 12 mile loop. Normally, I plan a path using mapmyrun and just head out on streets. There are pros and cons to both, but I think (while this path was scenic and lovely) that part of me prefers the streets. I've got my GPS on to track my distance, but it normally only alerts me every half-mile, just so I can check my pace. But here, on this path today, there were mile markers every 1/10th of a mile. So it was easy to see just how fast/slow I was moving... and how far I had to go. There's something about just doing it, without seeing the visual all the time that is kind of relaxing.

3. Charge your phone
I was keeping up a pretty good pace... until my iPhone died. Seems some moron forgot to charge the battery last night. Yes, that moron was me. I'm used to running with music, and it keeps me pumped up/distracted. So not to have it, was kind of odd. I thought I'd like the silence, but again... without the company I was overly focused on the mile markers, and not anything else. And I didn't get that nice rewarding Nike GPS voice telling me what a good job I did after completing a long run.

4. Once you stop, its hard to get going again
I've been doing Jeff Galloway's run/walk/run program, and it is great. So I was running for 2/10ths of a mile and then walking 1. Not exactly his plan, but vaguely close to it. But when I hit mile 10, I slowed down for a couple tenths of a mile (got distracted by the cute kids on a playground), and at that point, getting going again was near impossible. I tried repeatedly to get back into my stride, but my feet and legs were burning and I just couldn't get in the groove, and I ended up walking most of the last two miles. It was disappointing to myself, because normally I save my energy pretty well and can usually get a little boost at the end. Today, I was just happy to get to the car. I know the esteemed Jeff Galloway says that you can't run too slow on a training run, but after today... I think he might be wrong.

5. Colds and running? Not perfect together
I had a bit of a cold this morning, but just a little stuffy, nothing with a fever or seriously debilitating. I actually thought the run might make me feel better. And it did. But those first few miles were a challenge, trying to keep my breathing right when I couldn't actually breathe out of my nose. But I finally was able to breathe and felt good... just about the time my legs started to feel the strain of running six miles.

6. I still don't really like running
That's actually not entirely true. I like running for about three or four miles. And I really like being outside and in the fresh air. But mostly I started running so I could be better at triathlons, and to get in better shape in general. But around mile 7 today, I kept thinking it would have been really nice to be one of the people who were out riding on their bikes. I'm far more comfortable with wheels underneath me. Still, I appreciate the cardio workout from my run/walks... so I'll keep doing it.

Can't wait for yoga tomorrow to stretch my sore legs out.
I'm slowly improving as a runner

No comments:

Post a Comment